26 October, 2007

What's going on in Quito






I'm still working on the translation of the Galápagos blog into English, but I'm getting there, I promise! Life has been great in Quito during this past week. It has definitely been busy and time is flying by. As of tomorrow I will only have 8 weeks left here -- really, I'm pretty sad about that!

Last Friday I went climbing with some friends. It was sooo nice! I feel like I am in withdrawal from the climbing life down here and it was nice to be back on the wall for a little while. We weren't there for too long, but enough time to make me a very happy person!

Saturday we went to el Jardín Botánico de Quito (the botanical garden), to el Vivarium (pretty much a reptile house with lots of snakes and turtles and frogs) and to the Quito zoo. It was such a fun day!! And we learned a ton, a ton, a ton about Ecuador and all the different ecosystems that it has. El Jardín Botánico is set up so that it can teach you about all the different places in Ecuador - the coast, the Galápagos, the highlands, the mountains, the Amazon, etc. - and there are plants from each place. Very cool. The zoo also was a great learning experience because it only has animals that are native to Ecuador. Our environmental professor came with us and was able to teach us a lot. It was a great day.

Sunday I went with Laura to one of the traditional craft markets. The market was right in Quito, so we didn't have to go too far (we actually were able to walk there). I had fun looking at everything, but I think more fun talking to all the people. Adventures like there really help me learn more than anywhere or anything else... I feel like I am completely thrown into the culture and it's a sink or swim type situation.

The week has been busy. I have been studying a lot (not "too much" Pat, no te preocupas) to try to get ready for a huge religion exam that is coming up. Hopefully I'll do well! I've also been talking with friends back at the Briar quite a bit and I've been able to catch up a little on what is going on at home, which has been nice. Overall things are great... time goes so fast though. It's hard to find an extra few minutes to write home or update here.

Tomorrow we are going to Mindo. It's a small town out of the city. We're going with our environmental professor again, so I'm sure we'll learn a lot and have a great time. He's so funny!

I'm working on uploading more photos to another website. I'll let y'all know the address as soon as I get them up!

¡Besitos amigos!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It will be time to come home before you know it. Enjoy every minute you can. Love the snake picture and look forward to seeing more on the website you are using. Be safe, learn and enjoy.

Love ya!!!

Dad

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.